Why should you’ve a special winter skincare routine?
Quoting Game of Thrones, winter is coming and much like the show it brings some vengeful woes with it, in the form of more realistically speaking chapped lips, excessive dryness and red in all the wrong places. Therefore, it's no doubt that your skin requires special care during this time, you can't just spend all your time snuggling under the blankets with a cup of hot cocoa in your hand. You need to slightly tweak your skincare routine to accommodate the harsh winds and cold nights. Your regular, frail skincare routine won’t stand a chance against frosty winds, so let’s just backup a little and prepare ourselves for it, shall we?
Basics of skincare routine for winter
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
What ingredients should you definitely include in your winter skincare routine?
We’ve a list of natural ingredients that when combined with your skincare routine would fetch wonderful results, take a look at them-
- Milk and malai- let’s go channel our inner desi now, shall we? Our moms have been telling us incessantly about numerous benefits of using milk and malai (milk cream) as part of our daily ritual and now we’re here, doing the same. Malai is the indian moisturizer even when the term wasn’t coined. Massaging your skin with milk and malai 3-4 times a week would have you reaping the benefits for decades to come.
- Argan oil- it has skin softening and glowing properties and is loaded with minerals and vitamins, therefore, combats dryness like a brave warrior.
- Olive oil- olive oil again has been passed down like an heirloom in all the Indian families for generations to come. It contains vitamin A,D,E, & K which have the potential to ease irritation, make the skin pop and glow and overall provide it with a nice hydrating undertone.
- Coconut oil- apply just 3 drops of coconut oil to a dry, flaky area and you’ll see in no time it does magic to your skin. We’ve been saying it time and time again, coconut oil is a life saver, instead of being packed in orange vests, it comes packed in tiny little bottles.
- Shea butter- shea butter has the desired concentration of fatty acid and vitamins which makes it an ideal choice to soften and soothe dry chapped winter skin.
Winter skincare routine for dry skin
We’ve hatched a perfect plan for all your rashes, dry skin and flakes spread all over your face. Here’s our perfectly curated routine which we believe will help your skin breathe, nourish and grow even in the harshest of conditions-
- CTM process- yes we know it sounds very analytical and boring but trust us- this is THE most important step of the entire process. CTM stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Start your skincare routine by washing your face with our hydrating foaming facial cleanser, however, we highly recommend using milk as your cleansing agent at least thrice a week to give you that amazingly glowing skin. Now the next step is a toner which basically helps in balancing the pH levels in your skin, for this purpose our pore minimizing toner works wonders. The last step is to hydrate your skin by applying a creamy moisturizer which is ideal for dry skin types.
- Effort in exfoliation- exfoliation is also important in winters to remove dead skin cells so that they don’t build up overtime and clog the pores. However, gentle exfoliation is important since rubbing the skin vigorously would also aggravate the skin and cause any underlying skin conditions to act up. You guys can even go for a homemade scrub made up of oats or coffee by adding coconut oil or milk to it.
- Moisturize- The next step is one of the most essential steps in the winter night skincare routine. Using a good moisturizer is very important in winter to prevent flaky skin and hence, we urge you to go for a creamy consistency which suit dry skin types far better than the others
- Sunscreen with at least 30 SPF- no routine is complete without a good enough amount of SPF. Even if you’re staying at home all day, it’s still recommended to lather your skin with large amounts of SPF to provide you with an ultimate barrier against the sun's harmful UV rays. Ultra light sunscreen gel should be your go to product, we’re not saying that, everyone else is!
Winter skincare routine for oily skin
For all you oily skin people we know it’s quite a task to navigate winters especially when your skin is breaking out, rashes have formed their own tiny nest on your face and it’s just painful to even touch it. We surely hate when it happens and wouldn’t want you guys going through it, so here’s our skincare regimen made just for this season
1. CTM process- it stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing which as we’re sure you must be well aware about the products as well the importance of it. This step is crucial as it sets the base for your skin by getting rid of all the dirt particles, balancing pH levels in the skin and hydrating it as required (just remember to use gel moisturizers to ensure that they’re light on the skin). We highly recommend some products to choose otherwise who knows, you might be looking for the entire summer and still get nothing- hydrating foaming facial cleanser and pore minimizing toner.
2. Sunscreening all the way- there’s absolutely no way that we’ll skip sunscreens out of our list right? So there are primarily two kinds of sunscreen formula that we’ve available in India:
- Chemical properties- oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are absorbed into your skin to counteract the damage from ultraviolet light rays however, the main setback they cause is excessive irritation and itching.
- Physical properties- containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, that sit on top of your skin to deflect or prevent UV rays from entering your body. Now they do not cause irritation or redness but have other pitfalls to it- they leave behind a certain grayish tint on the skin which we don’t need to tell you, is very harmful to your skin.
Now what experts and we advise is, to go for a sunscreen which offers both these benefits. A combination of both these properties is what would be ideal for the skin. We’ve the ideal product for you- our ultra light sunscreen gel catering to your skin, needs and all the changes.
3. Non-comedogenic products are essential- these types of products are designed to well, let your pores breathe and prevent any clogging to avoid any build up. It’s absolutely non-negotiable, using these products, to have perfectly healthy and soft skin.
Here’s some more information about our life saving products
1. Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser
The wonderful combination of AHA+BHA gently exfoliates by clearing dust settlement and congested skin starting from the first wash itself. It’s ideal for acne prone skin as it targets and removes acne causing bacteria and eases up on irritation and inflammations as well.
2. Pore Minimizing Ultimate Toner
As the name suggests it not only balances the skin composition and gives it a glowing, bright look but also helps in shrinking the size of pores in the skin thereby, providing a much more even and smooth texture.
3. Ultra Light Sunscreen Gel
This formula offers protection against both UVA & UVB rays of the sun, thus, making it an appropriate choice for all seasons. No more emptying your wallets every other month just so you could get protection against the ever changing tactics of the sun. It’s gentle and delicate on skin, evens skin texture and repairs sunburned skin cells too.
Here we've assembled a list of tips, tricks and hacks that you can incorporate in your regular skincare routine whether you've dry, oily or combination skin and hopefully these will work help you immensely and work wonders for you,
- Always apply sunscreen. It's genuinely the bare minimum that you can do for your skin. Sunscreen is important guys, we've said this in the past and we're saying it now, even if you're staying at home, you need to apply sunscreen. It delays the aging process, keeps pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles at bay and gives you an extra layer of protection.
- Ceramides are important. For those of you who don't know what ceramides are, they're basically this substance produced by your skin which acts as a natural moisture barrier. As we grow older our skin starts producing lesser and lesser quantities of the same and therefore, it's crucial to include ceramides in your skincare regime too especially during winters.
- Add hyaluronic acid to your regimen. Hyaluronic acid has recently been gaining a lot of popularity owing to an increase in the number of skincare enthusiasts and quite rightfully so. It's not some fancy product that's just become popular because some fancy rich kids have started using it, it's popular because it works on a molecular level to provide and seal hydration. It includes molecules which can hold upto 1000 times their own weight in water easily making it one of the best products out there.
- Avoid hot showers and baths. Yes we know it's winter and we know you can't torture yourself day and night by showering in cold ripples of water. Go for lukewarm water but extremely hot showers are as much fun and relaxing they're, they aren't always the right choice. Hot water strips your skin from its natural water retaining barrier, which would lead to you putting excessive moisturizers on your skin having no or little effect.
- Use a serum which is high in Vitamin C, this will lead to a rise in the production of collagen and general cell turnover. Collagen is a structurally efficient component of the skin which will help in reducing wrinkles and dryness.
- Avoid harsh, alcohol centered cleansers and non fragrance products. We've said time and time again that alcohol and fragrances can prove detrimental to your skin and it's better to avoid them as much as you can. During winters when your skin is uncharacteristically dry, go for cream heavy products and if it's really parched then you can double cleanse too. Use water with the first cleanse but then make the second cleanse a dry cleanse, ie, you can wipe it off with a wipe or paper towel.
- Go get yourself a humidifier, since the freezy winters have almost no place for humidity, using a humidifier would help build the outer layer of the skin and prevent the air from becoming too dry.
- Protect your lips and eyes. Since this is a very sensitive area, having no sebaceous glands to protect itself, using oils, balms and serums would help greatly.
The cold winters might sometimes be super harsh on your skin. However, following the right skincare routine will help you shield your skin from the season’s mischieves.
Also Read :
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.