Figuring out the right routine for combination skin can feel overwhelming, confusing and just straight up frustrating because your skin can't decide on a singular characteristic, it has to appear both shiny and dry at the same time, both greasy and flaky at the same time. You don't know when your skin will start acting like more than the other type, it's like looking both left and right at the same time, impossible right? But what if we tell you that it's absolutely possible? No matter the percentage of either type in your skin and no matter the frequency by which they act up, we fully assure you that by religiously using our method, you'll be left with absolutely no complaints about your skin type. On the other hand, you'd just be more comfortable with it and probably ace it with this skin regimen.
Firstly, getting the basics aside, we'll answer the simple question-
How to know if you've combination skin?
It's slightly hard to figure out if you've a combination skin type or not as it exhibits characteristics of both dry and oily skin but to make it easy for you we've listed down a few basic qualities that will help you determine your skin type easily.
At some places it will be dry while in others it will be, yes you guessed it right, oily.
It can appear a little flaky, patchy and rough while in other areas it might be really shiny with visibly large looking pores and unusual acne.
Combination skin is either genetic or caused by seasonal or hormonal changes, which is completely out of your control but how to treat it is wholly up to you, below is a generalized skin care regimen, which you can alter, tweak, add or change depending on your personal preferences, availability and accessibility of products among many other factors.
Basics of skincare routine for combination skin
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
Focused routine for combination skin
The first rule of any skin care regimen is to thoroughly cleanse your skin, to make sure there's no dirt or oil particles present. We highly recommend going for the Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser since it effortlessly and effectively removes any build up.
Some people tend to skip on this part because mostly they think it's of little to no use, and is credited as a mere fancy marketing strategy. Well we're here to tell you those people are absolutely foolish for this is an integral part of any skincare regimen. Toner helps remove oil which your cleanser couldn't and maintains the pH level in your skin.
Pore Minimizing Toner is one of the best out there, you should definitely check it out!
Serums hydrate and protect your skin, acting as a barrier against pollutants which in this environment has become a necessity. We suggest you go check out HA serum and Radiance Serum, see for yourself how it does wonders for your skin.
Here comes the tricky part, finding out a moisturizer that works both for the dry areas as well as the relatively excessively moist areas is quite a task. However, there's a simple solution to that, get two moisturizers, one for the dryer, flaky areas- a creamy formula while for the oily parts, choose a lightweight water based formula.
A product that all the beauty gurus religiously swear by is sunscreen, as we talked about in one of our previous blogs too, you can't afford to not apply sunscreen irrespective of whether you're gonna go out or not. Go for a lightweight formula with at least 30 SPF. Our ultra light sunscreen gel offers plenty of benefits and is definitely worth checking out.
Products that you wouldn't wanna miss out on ever
1. Exfoliating foaming facial cleanser
Containing AHA+BHA combination, Exofoliating foaming facial cleanser gently exfoliates your skin, gives it anti aging benefits and leaves it all glowing and clean. AHA cleanses the surface level congested skin while BHA goes all the way in, penetrating deep, it clears away any dull open pores.
2. Pore minimizing toner
It's one of the most effective ways to visibly reduce the size of your pores and make your skin look more smooth and youthful.Pore minimizing ultimate toner penetrates deeply into your skin and ensures long lasting moisturization too.
3. Regenerative 5KDA Hyaluronic super serum
Well we don't need to tell you the benefits of Hyaluronic acid, it's all over Instagram reels, TikTok and YouTube shorts, and is being consistently used by most of the hotshots in the skincare world. So here we've a magic liquid that is Regenrative 5KDA hyaluronic super serum which will reduce fine lines, renew the skin and give it a splendid glow. Go hurry, get some for yourself, we don't want you to miss out on it.
4. Ultra light sunscreen gel
Ultra light sunscreen gel offers protection against both UVA & UVB rays of the sun, thus, making it an appropriate choice for all seasons. No more emptying your wallets every other month just so you could get protection against the ever changing tactics of the sun. It’s gentle and delicate on skin, evens skin texture and repairs sunburned skin cells too.
Also Read : Is Sun Protection Essential?
Ingredients to look out for
Since you’ve made it this far, here’s a little reward for you guys. We’ve gathered some of the best ingredients that will not only help you in your skincare journey but if all goes right, would become your best friends for life too!
- Blue tansy- hiding behind a fancy name, this is one of the most efficacious essential oils which has countless benefits from soothing, calming and balancing properties and is known to target eczema, dry skin, irritated and acne prone skin.
- Peptides- peptides are amino acids that make up certain proteins needed by the skin precisely giving structure and boosting collagen production. As a result, it reduces fine lines and wrinkles, eases inflammation, makes the skin look firmer and tighter and can help clear breakouts and occasional, despicable acne.
- Adaptogens- these are literally your own little angels, right at your disposal, regulating and guiding your skin to what it actually needs instead of pushing it in one direction. They’ve proven to be extremely effective and useful in reducing fatigue and other toxic effects induced by stress. They’ve been making quite the rounds in the skincare world and if you don’t hurry now they’ll be long out and gone off the shelves.
- Niacinamide- we don’t think that we need to stress on the significance of niacinamide since it’s an absolute magic potion proven to do wonders for your skin and health. It’s a form of vitamin B3 and can also be found in many foods however, if you are looking for almost instantaneous results then both online/offline markets are lined up with this beautiful gem. It not only aids in easing inflammation, acne. lesions but also forms a strong barrier around the skin thereby, protecting it from environmental disruptives like sunlight, pollution, external toxins and so on.
Also Read : Niacinamide - Skin Care Benefits And Uses
Some extra tips and tricks
Besides, from a generalized skincare regimen, here we've got some bonus tips and ingredients for you to instill in your day to day routine.
- If you're fond of wearing makeup, then we suggest you go for lightweight products so it doesn't weigh your skin down. Base products like foundation and concealer should have oil free formulas too. Also removing your makeup at night before you sleep is extremely important. While some people don't care for this, we suggest you choose double cleansing. Micellar water is one of the best and the gentlest products out there.
- Exfoliate as often as you can for it not only removes dead cells from the skin, it also gives it a more shiny and naturally dewy look. The best part is that you don't even have to spend a fortune on these and you can make your own exfoliants at home. Some of the most popular choices include coffee grounds, oatmeal, cinnamon, finely ground almonds and many more mixed with honey or essential oils.
- Facial masks have also been a widely popular choice among people especially since masks have started being customized for a particular part of your face. From under eye masks to nose masks and whatnot. It's safe to say that people have been going insane over this multi masking method.
- Include an anti aging under eye cream. The most dry areas in combination skin prone to be around your eyes, here anti aging creams help moisturize it and keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay.
- Facial oils are another piece of the puzzle which fit perfectly into combination skincare routine. If your cheek area's feeling a little itchy and dry then use facial oils. They come very handy and with different scents, start using it and thank us later.
- Also use a lot of natural homemade remedies for we believe they're quite underrated actually. Honey, yogurt, cinnamon, chickpea flour, oatmeal, cucumbers, lemon, rose water, aloe vera and so on. The list is endless but your journey has just begun and we urge you to experiment as much as you can, with the right ingredients and guidance of course.
Hopefully, we've been successful on our mission of coming up with skincare routines, tricks and other helpful tips which we've collected over the years. These are extremely useful and would be valuable to you, provided you follow them religiously and correctly. All skincare requires is effort, experiment and consistency and then the results just take over.
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.