Having a flaky, eternally rough surface like the sandpaper in the name of skin cells isn't the best thing (trust us, been there felt that), it's like waking up in the morning and instead of finding plump, soft, glowing skin you're rewarded with dry patches which feel weird to your hands. Well here we are, to help you all if you've dry skin, we've curated a generalized skincare routine after our intensive research and you're free to customize it according to your skin and needs. There's no such thing as the perfect skin care regime, but trust us when we say this, and we're not shooting high over our heads, this routine right here might be the key to solving more than half of your skin problems and would magically transform flaky skin into smooth, bouncy skin.
Firstly, let's start off with the basics.
How do you know that you've dry skin?
Dry skin is usually characterized by fewer oil producing glands on both the face and body, and feels flaky and itchy most of the time. It lacks sebum (oily substance produced in the sebaceous gland) and oils, and is highly prone to dehydration since it doesn't have any effective control measure against the outer environment to prevent water loss. Owing to a lack of moisture in the skin, it also develops tiny cracks and crevices which in turn leads to irritation and itching.
Now, let's move onto the fundamentals of the skin care routine for all the dry skin lovelies, for we think we've successfully established what ignoring it might look like.
Basics of skin care routine for dry skin
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
Also Read : 5 Tips To Drive Away Dry Skin In Winters!
Focused skin care routine for dry skin
The first step is to cleanse the face thoroughly, using a facial cleanser to retain the moisture. It's recommended to not use foaming cleansers if you've dry skin but there are always exceptions, so the primary thing you need to keep in mind is the ingredients and the formula the cleanser contains. Best face washes for dry skin should contain hydrating agents like oatmeal, humectants and ceramides among many others.
Beauty toners are not necessary but highly recommended, as they complement cleansers and help in removing extra dirt, oils or any other kind of pollutant. If this hasn't convinced you so far, then let us tell you how it also plays a role in maintaining pH levels in the skin and aids other products to be fully absorbed in the skin.
Pore Minimizing Toner is one of the best out there and we'd urge you to go grab it for yourself or else you'll be left empty handed.
Best rule or the only rule when you've dry skin is to always remember that, "hydration is key" no matter what happens, whether it's an apocalypse or a tiny tremor, you should always carry face oils and serums on you. HA super serum is our go to hydrater, improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and keeping the skin clean and hydrated.
Another rule in the skincare world which dry skin people love to swear by is, "when in doubt, always moisturize". Sounds silly, looks silly but it's highly effective. Choosing the right moisturizer is very important as it's going to be your skin's best friend. We recommend carefully reading the ingredient list behind the package and knowing your skin in and out before coming to a decision.
All thanks to selfish human practices, institutionalized capitalism and constantly increasing global warming, a tube of sunscreen has become an absolute must in your backpack. Even on days when you're not going out anywhere, sitting at home and chilling, we suggest you still apply sunscreen. For a day without sunscreen is just, well, terrible for your skin unless you prefer a flaky, rough surface. You can include ThriveCo Daily Sunscreen Gel in your skincare routine.
Also Read : Choose A Sunscreen That Suits Your Skin
Buy ThriveCo Daily Sunscreen Gel
Review Shared by Saraswathy S
"I love the feel of the product on my skin. It is non- greasy, easily absorbed and doesn't leave a white residue."
Tip- if you’re ever confused about the order in which to use the above products or even add some of your own tiny experiments here, then just remember- with any skincare product just apply it in the order of consistency, so that’s why cleanser comes first, then toner, followed by a serum and moisturizer.
Products that you'd like to check out ASAP!
1. Hydrating foaming facial cleanser
Review Shared By
"The face wash is just awesome. It's effective enough to strip off make up and leave the skin squeaky clean, but also gentle enough that I don't feel the need to apply a moisturizer afterwards, even though I have very dry skin. This is an absolute 10 on 10."
Hydrating Foaming Facial Cleanser offers amazing protection against skin dehydration, restores and rejuvenates the skin and is gentle enough to be used multiple times in a day. Yeah, we weren't lying when we said that this is one of the best products available in the markets, hurry or else all of it will be sold off in a jiffy.
2. Pore minimizing toner
Review Shared By Ujjawal
"I got the product on recommendation by one of my friend. It is refreshing and relaxing. I have used lots of toner but this something I was actually looking for."
It's one of the most effective ways to visibly reduce the size of your pores and make your skin look more smooth and youthful. Pore minimizing ultimate toner penetrates deeply into your skin and ensures long lasting moisturization too.
3. Regenerative 5KDA Hyaluronic super serum
Review Shared By Krishna22
"I am applying during night time for best results and texture is thick, very much smoother for facial skin. Anti aging hydrating serum ( avoiding beard area)."
Well we don't need to tell you the benefits of Hyaluronic acid, it's all over Instagram reels, TikTok and YouTube shorts, and is being consistently used by most of the hotshots in the skincare world. So here we've a magic liquid that is Regerative 5KDA hyalurnoic acid super serum which will reduce fine lines, renew the skin and give it a splendid glow. Go hurry, get some for yourself, we don't want you to miss out on it.
What ingredients should you definitely include in your skincare routine?
Now that we've familiarized ourselves with the basics, let's look at some of the optional yet extremely important products which form a fine line between having dull looking, barely moisturized dry skin or radiant, plump skin.
- Hyaluronic acid serum- dermatologically speaking, these have proved to be one of the most effective serums for dry skin types. Hyaluronic serums keep the skin tissues lubricated and moist, which generates an extra glow too.
- Face mist- for all those people who have a field job, college or school classes which requires them to spend a considerable amount of time out under the sun, we feel face mist to be quite the damage control. You can even spray it over your makeup and it gives a nice, dewy sort of a look.
- Glycerin- it's actually impossible to not talk about glycerin among important ingredients to look out for all the dry skin lovelies out there. Glycerin is a colorless odorless humectant which binds moisture in the cells and keeps them hydrated. So be on the lookout for glycerin based products as it will help you immensely more than you can imagine.
- Shea butter- as much fame as shea butter has found in the haircare industry with it's amazing scent, soothing and nourishing after effects, it's safe to say that it has started showering those same benefits to the skincare world. It's an emollient which gets absorbed into the skin very quickly and helps secure moisture.
- Aloe vera- deemed as the skin savior and very rightfully so, aloe vera has a lot of properties that calm, soothe and help relax the skin. This comes very handy when your skin is all itchy and dry and needs some urgent medical attention.
Other than these we do have some brownie points for all those who have come so far, just some helpful insights which will help you make informed decisions on your skin care journey.
- As mentioned before, use a lot of oils and butters. When we say a lot, we mean a lot. Dry skin is mainly caused by a decrease in the amount of secretion of sebum, a natural oil that helps lock in moisture and is produced by the sebaceous glands. Using plenty of oils and butters would therefore, just make for a lack of sebum in your skin. Shea butter, Jojoba oil, and Lanolin are our top choices.
- Keep an eye out for acids, not the will get you burned but the good ones, the ones that will repair damaged skin cells, help lock in moisture and clean dirt or any kind of pollutants which are invisible to the naked eye. Salicylic acid, Lactic acid, Hyaluronic acid are just a few of the ones that we recommend.
- Please make it a point to be gentle with your skin, don't be too harsh by scrubbing your face a little too hard or using extremely hot or cold water on it.
- Avoid fragrances in your go to products. Try finding out products which explicitly mention fragrance free instead of unscented. You might not make much of it but trust us, your skin does. Fragrance free implies there are no fragrance formulas added in the product in contrast to unscented which basically means that ingredients have been added to neutralize other scents which might aggravate the skin.
These were some of our tips which after numerous times of hit and trial we've discovered and gathered for you at one place, so that you don't have to do the digging. We hope these help you out as much as it helped us and much more.
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.