Not all sensitive skin types are similar or identical. Although they share some similarities they've their own set of differences which makes them unique in their approach and gives them different personalities. Here, we'll help you to tackle them with a bunch of tips and tricks we've learned and tested over the years. You might be aware of some, some may be completely new to you and the rest might be absolute hocus pocus but we say, "don't dismiss them before you try 'em." Keep reading to know which are the hacks and cheat codes for you and which are for you. However, before you try a new product, always consult with your doctor so that they can examine and tell you if you've some underlying problem.
Now before we get started, let’s answer a common question that we’re sure is going on in your head.
What exactly is Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin basically means that your skin is more prone to peel off, redness, irritation and itching by even the slightest change in your choice of products, weather changes and/or a new step you add to your skincare regimen. Most people who have sensitive skin often complain about frequent itching, burning and/or stinging patches of skin, etc. People who deal with rosacea, psoriasis or eczema all come under the category. All these basically refer to the skin condition of transforming into dry, scaly patches, pus-filled bumps on the face or severe inflammation. If you’ve the above signs then most probably you’ve sensitive skin but as we repeatedly say, it’s better to always first consult your doctor and then take action.
Basics of skincare routine for Sensitive Skin
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
Focused routine for Sensitive Skin
- Cleanser- Cleansing your face after you wake up and before you go to sleep using a facial cleanser is extremely essential. It helps keep your skin healthy, clean and devoid of any dirt or oil particles. Hyaluronic acid and ceramides have many health benefits and you might wanna check them out. By not cleansing your face twice a day, you’re increasing the risk of build-up of harmful bacteria and chemical products, clogging your pores and in short the possibility of your skin going down the drain. Hydrating foaming facial cleanser is out on our website and we assure you that it’s going to be your last love.
- Toner- Using a toner is the next step that's essential. After you cleanse your face just swipe a toner on your face with a cotton pad, but make sure that the toner is alcohol-free and steer clear of any and all astringent ingredients 'cause we do not want any unfriendly disasters. Check out our Pore minimizing toner, it is the toner that you’ve been looking for your entire life.
- Serum- these tiny bottles of liquid are amazing as they can be used to target specific areas of concern. For example- if you want to reduce wrinkles and lines on your face you’ve a separate serum but if you want to brighten the skin, then there’s a different lot for it. Many people skip on this essential part however, if you wanna do this the right way then we highly recommend going the serum way. The hyaluronic acid super serum is one of the most effective options out there to bring out your best features and target inflammatory spots.
- Moisturize- Moisturizing comes next. In the morning go for a lightweight easy, breezy formula while at night go for a richer, heavier-based formula. Ensure that whatever product you use it's fragrance-free, non-comedogenic (a product that won’t cause clogged pores) and (a product that has no potential of causing any allergic reaction) hypoallergenic.
- Sunscreen- Don't shy away from applying sunscreen every morning and reapplying it when you're out in the sun. Make sure you're using at least a 30 SPF formula to protect you from UV rays. We suggest you check out our Ultra light daily sunscreen gel and see the wonderful results yourself.
Here’s some more information about our products
1. Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser
The wonderful combination of AHA+BHA gently exfoliates by clearing dust settlement and congested skin starting from the first wash itself. Exfoliating foaming facial cleanser is ideal for acne-prone skin as it targets and removes acne-causing bacteria and eases up on irritation and inflammations as well.
Also Read : Exfoliation 101 For Sensitive And Dull Skin
2. Pore Minimizing Ultimate Toner
As the name suggests pore minimizing ultimate toner not only balances the skin composition and gives it a glowing, bright look but also helps in shrinking the size of pores in the skin thereby, providing a much more even and smooth texture.
3. Ultra-Light Sunscreen Gel
ultra light sunscreen gel offers protection against both UVA & UVB rays of the sun, thus, making it an appropriate choice for all seasons. No more emptying your wallets every other month just so you could get protection against the ever-changing tactics of the sun. It’s gentle and delicate on the skin, evens skin texture and repairs sunburned skin cells too.
Also Read : Is Sun Protection Essential ?
4. Hyaluronic Acid Super Serum
The thing that stands our hyaluronic acid super serum is the presence of Hyaluronic acid. It’s not only a buzzword in the industry but the elixir and an all-time favourite of all the skincare enthusiasts all over the world. It not only boosts collagen production, but also reduces wrinkles and fine lines, protects the skin from external pollutants and damage, and refines the texture of the skin, these are just a few of the benefits that come with this elixir of serum.
Now that we're done with a generalized routine, let's look at some specific tips and tricks that might help you.
- Simplicity is the key- simplify your routine by using a certain set of the same products and stick to it. It's better to not use a large assortment of numerous products since you never know how your skin would react to certain products and ingredients.
- Know your ingredients- before making an impulse purchase make sure to read the ingredients behind the packaging. It's important to be cautious especially with irritating or highly prone to inflammation products like alcohol or fragrances. It's always better to consult a doctor before using such products.
- Keep away from hot water- it's highly likely that hot water can cause irritation and itchiness to the already existing sensitive skin.
- Moisturizer, sunscreen and face mask- this is a trio which is both effective and experimental. You can choose and coordinate different products with each other, it'll be a fun little something for you to do while at the same time ensuring that the trifecta of skincare regimens isn't overlooked.
Ingredients to keep a watch for this season
- Marshmallow extract- yes, you read that right, marshmallow apart from its delicious and plump flavour has anti-inflammatory properties to offer too.
- Shea butter- not only does it smell amazing, but it also has some wonderful moisturizing elements that hydrate your skin pretty well. Shea butter calms and soothes down irritated skin and even offers UV protection too. All in all, we’ll say, we’ve got a winner.
- Aloe vera- last but not least, aloe vera is the OG ingredient that has been used by your grandma. mum and now will be used by you. Even in the age where there were no flouncy products and ingredients in the picture, aloe vera was still there with its hydrating and soothing properties. Time and time again it has proven to have lovely effects on your skin and if you’re confused about how to exactly use it, then simply go talk to your grandma, we assure you she will know all about it.
These are some of the tips that helped us to maintain a healthy composition for our sensitive, relentless skin type. There are other ingredients such as aloe vera, allantoin, oatmeal, and ceramides among many others which will help you achieve the ultimate clear, smooth skin look. Some of these ingredients are natural and can be directly applied to the skin in the form of a face mask or scrub while others are more intrinsic and can be found among the never-ending list of ingredients in various products. Keep a lookout for the above-mentioned super ingredients then!
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.