Why should you’ve a special summer skincare routine?
Summers bring beautiful beach days, refreshing cool drinks and an urge to always, literally always just stay in the pool. Honestly, it feels like one big vacation but like every quintessential holiday it also has some not-so-fun parts. Scorching heat of the sun, excessive humidity and stickiness and most importantly, sunburn, tan and every other possible damage to your skin. Wearing sunscreen isn't the only way to shield yourself from the potential damage, for what it's worth, it's only the bare minimum.
Basics of skincare routine for summer
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
What ingredients should you definitely include in your summer skincare regimen?
To get yourself ready for the dichotomous nature of summer- breezy pastures and blazing sun, you need to make certain additions in your skincare routine to ensure you not only survive but thrive in the fiery summer. Here we’ve got some ingredients you can turn to for inspiration and integration to your pre existing amazing routine
- Aloe vera- it’s no surprise when we talk about aloe vera for summers right? It’s known for its medicinal properties, easing skin irritation, cooling down your skin and providing hydration. This is one of the easiest ingredients available out there and you can do so many variations with it too, talk about perfectionism huh!?
- Sandalwood- again, one of the most easily accessible and fun to use ingredients- we’ve sandalwood. Not only does it smell amazing but it has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antiviral properties. If you are not convinced with these buzzwords then let us explain to you in simple terms, sandalwood helps you deal with inflammation, acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc. and even helps bring down stress and sleep better. If this doesn’t convince you, then honestly what will?
- Yogurt- we are sure you must have overheard your grandma, mom, aunts or uncles talk about what absolute magic yogurt does to your skin right? Lactic acid helps treat wrinkles and fine lines, kills acne causing bacteria and gives your skin a beautiful natural glow.
- Coconut oil- from reducing inflammation to keeping the skin free from acne, coconut oil covers the entire spectrum. It acts as a trifecta by doubling up as a cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. Moreover, coconut has proven to be exceptionally well formulated for summers.
Summer skin routine for dry skin
To jumpstart your ideal skincare routine curated especially for all you dry skin lovelies, we’ve a list of products to follow in their correct order-
- CTM process- yes we know it sounds very analytical and boring but trust us- this is THE most important step of the entire process. CTM stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Start your skincare routine by washing your face with our hydrating foaming facial cleanser, followed by applying a toner which basically helps in balancing the pH levels in your skin, for this purpose our pore minimizing toner works wonders. The last step is to hydrate your skin by applying a creamy moisturizer which is ideal for dry skin types.
- Moisture is never enough- in summers with the sun sucking all your energy in just under 5 minutes, you can’t ever get enough of hydration and moisture right? We highly recommend aloe vera and coconut oil in whichever form you wish to apply, at least twice or thrice a week. It leaves your skin feeling healthy, plump and moisturized.
- SPF is key- no routine is complete without a good enough amount of SPF. Even if you’re staying at home all day, it’s still recommended to lather your skin with large amounts of SPF to provide you with an ultimate barrier against the sun's harmful UV rays. Ultra light sunscreen gel should be your go to product, we’re not saying that, everyone else is!
- Masking goes a long way- face masks, scrubs and exfoliation definitely goes a long way. They improve the skin by scraping off the bad skin cells, hydrating it, brightening and providing it a natural glow too. So if ever you’re getting bored then go order yourself some face masks, scrubs and candles to make it a great pampering session. Play some music, put on your mask and wait till your skin gets all plump and soft.
Also Read : Skin Care Routine For Dry Skin
Summer skin routine for oily skin
For all you oily skin people we know it’s quite a task to navigate summers especially when your skin is breaking out, rashes have formed their own tiny nest on your face and it’s just painful to even touch it. We surely hate when it happens and wouldn’t want you guys going through it, so here’s our skincare regimen made just for this season-
1. CTM process- it stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing which as we’re sure you must be well aware about the products as well the importance of it. This step is crucial as it sets the base for your skin by getting rid of all the dirt particles, balancing pH levels in the skin and hydrating it as required (just remember to use lightweight moisturizers to avoid any extra build up in the skin). We highly recommend some products to choose otherwise who knows, you might be looking for the entire summer and still get nothing- hydrating foaming facial cleanser and pore minimizing toner.
2. Sunscreening all the way- there’s absolutely no way that we’ll skip sunscreens out of our list right? So there are primarily two kinds of sunscreen formula that we’ve available in India:
- Chemical properties- oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are absorbed into your skin to counteract the damage from ultraviolet light rays however, the main setback they cause is excessive irritation and itching.
- Physical properties- containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, that sit on top of your skin to deflect or prevent UV rays from entering your body. Now they do not cause irritation or redness but have other pitfalls to it- they leave behind a certain grayish tint on the skin which we don’t need to tell you, is very harmful to your skin.
Now what experts and we advise is, to go for a sunscreen which offers both these benefits. A combination of both these properties is what would be ideal for the skin. Check out our ultra light sunscreen gel, we assure you, you won’t be disappointed in us.
3. Befriend blotting paper- we know how frustrating it can be when you’re sweating as if you’ve to fill tens of thousands of barrels, been there felt that. However, if you carry enough botting paper to gently wipe the sweat off your face, it won’t look as horrendous as it might have been otherwise. Remember to carry them especially when going out.
Also Read : Skin Care Routine For Oily Skin
Here’s some more information about our life saving products
1. Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser
The wonderful combination of AHA+BHA gently exfoliates by clearing dust settlement and congested skin starting from the first wash itself. Exfoliating foaming facial cleanser is ideal for acne prone skin as it targets and removes acne causing bacteria and eases up on irritation and inflammations as well.
2. Pore minimizing ultimate toner
As the name suggests pore minimizing ultimate toner not only balances the skin composition and gives it a glowing, bright look but also helps in shrinking the size of pores in the skin thereby, providing a much more even and smooth texture.
3. Ultra light sunscreen gel
Ultra light sunscreen gel offers protection against both UVA & UVB rays of the sun, thus, making it an appropriate choice for all seasons. No more emptying your wallets every other month just so you could get protection against the ever changing tactics of the sun. It’s gentle and delicate on skin, evens skin texture and repairs sunburned skin cells too.
So we're here to tell you our own tried and tested methods of a summer skincare to keep you and your skin rejuvenated all through the bright, sunny days.
- Sunscreen is your best friend- yeah we know this is quite an obvious one but sunscreen is literally one of the most important steps in your skincare journey. Just do yourself a favor and wear sunscreen all the time, we genuinely cannot even stress enough on this anymore. Choose sunscreens that offer at least SPF 30, wider spectrum protection and lip protection. We don't want discoloration of lips, now do we? Keep applying and reapplying sunscreen every 3 hours if you're outside too. Research shows that using sunscreen reduces the risk of skin cancer considerably. Also look for one which has zinc oxide as it's a cooling agent and proves to be a physical barrier to the harmful UV rays.
- Wear less makeup and make sure your makeup has SPF too. Wearing a lot of makeup on a hot day might just weigh your face down and feel like an extra thick layer of unnecessary. It's always therefore better to use minimum products for the maximum effort. You can apply tinted and lightweight moisturizers as your base too.
- Exfoliation is key. Honestly, in summers because of excessive sweating and humidity a lot of dirt particles just build up and clog your pores. It's your skin's way of telling you that it can't breathe, it's stuffy inside and it needs some air. Here's where exfoliation comes into play. You can use natural exfoliants like coffee, tomato, oatmeal are a few options. However, it's better to not scrub at all if you're sunburned. We don't want some external irritants on top of your already ruined skin, now do we? It's advised to only exfoliate once or maximum twice a week, not more than that, otherwise too much of it and your skin would get all scaly, patchy and cracked.
- Wear anti sun clothing and accessories. Bring your inner fashion diva out and start wearing wide brimmed hats, huge sunglasses, tightly woven clothes or dark colors would get you the best coverage from the wrath of the sun. Go for brands which make summer friendly clothes with UV absorbers or some dyes to give you an extra layer of protection from the sun.
- Contrary to the popular and intensely hygienic belief, don't constantly wash your face. Your body makes moisturizing factors especially during summers, and if you keep washing your face away you're just gonna leave the upper or outermost layer of the skin dehydrated and dry. Taking a bath everyday and after exercise in lukewarm water is the healthy thing to do. If you're sweating too much, you can always go for a blotting paper for it won't suck the water out of your skin but will gently absorb the sweat from your face.
- Introduce serums in your regular skin care routine. Serums with antioxidants do wonders for your skin by hydrating it immensely, boosting collagen and maintaining firmness and elasticity of the skin.
- Moisturize and keep moisturizing especially if you've dry skin. It's important to maintain the plumpy glow which only comes after you apply an awful lot of it.
- Lastly, just drink a lot of water and eat right. Don't have too many oily foods or too less water based fruits, eat whatever you feel like but make sure that it isn't in excess and is in no way harming your skin.
Well, we know quite a lot to consume right? But we need to be fully prepared with arms, ammunition and shields to save ourselves from the ominous flame thrower or who knows, we just might be sitting in a corner, all burned.
Also Read : What age should you start a skincare routine?
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.