Why should you have a special skincare routine for monsoons?
The arrival of cooler temperatures, breezier pastures and less humidity after the unbearable and scorching heat of the sun is something that all of us appreciate. However, with all good things comes bad things too. The downside of monsoon season is the damage it brings for your skin. For starters, your skin takes some time to adjust to the changed temperatures and if not taken care of properly, it might result in infections and allergies and what not. There's also a risk of greasy skin if you've an oily skin type and a patchy, scaly looking dry skin if you ignore your dry skin tendencies. Well whatever the case might be, we're here to help you out and provide solutions for the problems that you've been facing.
Basics of skincare routine for monsoons
It’s important to build a prototype for your skin which can be used time and time again with slight variations depending on weather conditions, any unwanted and unforeseen skin breakouts or even if you want to pamper yourself and indulge yourself. We’ve broken down skincare regimens into 3 primary steps that are absolutely essential and feasible for everyday and occasional events. These steps would even be enough for the days when you don’t feel like getting out of the house or if you’re running late for a meeting but still have to look presentable.
- Cleansing- wash your face
- Toning- balancing the skin
- Moisturizing- hydrating and softening the skin
- Sunscreen- optional depending on other factors but highly recommended
The process behind a skincare routine is to bring out the natural tone of your skin and work on any areas that are problematic and itchy. One thing that you should always keep in mind is whenever trying a new product, give it some time and constant effort. So for example- testing a new sunscreen would require using it at least once or twice daily for 6 weeks to get optimum results.
What ingredients should you definitely include in your monsoon skincare regimen?
- Moringa- the soothing properties of moringa make it a perfect choice to prevent skin infections and allergies which are very common during the rains. Its anti-inflammatory properties, easing up on irritation, and bringing glow to the otherwise dull and tired face is just the starting point. Combine this with a carrier oil and massage it onto circular motions in your face to get the best results.
- Olive oil- lightweight oil and having non-inflammatory properties makes it an ideal choice to be used during the monsoon season. It easily treats inflammation and acne and hydrates the skin deeply by quickly penetrating the pores.
- Coconut oil- coconut oil is a multipurpose oil which can be used whenever and however. It works wonders by easily being able to treat redness and itchiness.
- Rosewater- it’s no secret in the skincare world that rosewater is one of the most effective ways out there to not only cleanse your skin but also hydrate it and lock moisture.
- Neem powder- due to its medicinal properties, it proves highly effective in treating bacterial and fungal infections so that you can have a peaceful night of sleep without the incessant itching and swollen lump of a skin.
Monsoon skincare routine for dry skin
To jumpstart your ideal skincare routine curated especially for all you dry skin lovelies, we’ve a list of products to follow in their correct order-
- CTM process- yes we know it sounds very analytical and boring but trust us- this is THE most important step of the entire process. CTM stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Start your skincare routine by washing your face with our hydrating foaming facial cleanser, followed by applying a toner which basically helps in balancing the pH levels in your skin, for this purpose our pore minimizing toner works wonders. The last step is to hydrate your skin by applying a creamy moisturizer which is ideal for dry skin types.
- Moisture is never enough- in summers with the sun sucking all your energy in just under 5 minutes, you can’t ever get enough of hydration and moisture right? We highly recommend aloe vera and coconut oil in whichever form you wish to apply, at least twice or thrice a week. It leaves your skin feeling healthy, plump and moisturized.
- Exfoliation all the way- we cannot stress this enough, because monsoon season particularly sees a lot of dirt particles and grime going around in the air, it’s very easy for your skin to catch as well even with protective barriers against it. Therefore, we’ve exfoliants for you which will scrape away any unwanted chemicals and give your skin a new canvas to shine on. We recommend exfoliating a maximum of thrice a week.
- SPF is key- no routine is complete without a good enough amount of SPF. Even if you’re staying at home all day, it’s still recommended to lather your skin with large amounts of SPF to provide you with an ultimate barrier against the sun's harmful UV rays. Ultra light sunscreen gel should be your go to product, we’re not saying that, everyone else is!
Also Read : Skincare Routine For Dry Skin
Monsoon skincare routine for oily skin
For all you oily skin people we know it’s quite a task to navigate monsoons especially when your skin is breaking out, rashes have formed their own tiny nest on your face and it’s just painful to even touch it. We surely hate when it happens and wouldn’t want you guys going through it, so here’s our skincare regimen made just for this season
1. CTM process- it stands for cleansing, toning and moisturizing which as we’re sure you must be well aware about the products as well the importance of it. This step is crucial as it sets the base for your skin by getting rid of all the dirt particles, balancing pH levels in the skin and hydrating it as required (just remember to use lightweight moisturizers to avoid any extra build up in the skin). We highly recommend some products to choose otherwise who knows, you might be looking for the entire summer and still get nothing- hydrating foaming facial cleanser and pore minimizing toner.
2. Exfoliate as much as you can- we’ve been repeating this time and time again, exfoliation is highly important to scrape away any dirt, grime and pollutant that might unknowingly have settled on our skin. Exfoliation can bring out the natural tone of the skin, give it a more polished, even undertone and visibly brighten the complexion.
3. Sunscreening all the way- there’s absolutely no way that we’ll skip sunscreens out of our list right? So there are primarily two kinds of sunscreen formula that we’ve available in India:
- Chemical properties- oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are absorbed into your skin to counteract the damage from ultraviolet light rays however, the main setback they cause is excessive irritation and itching.
- Physical properties- containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, that sit on top of your skin to deflect or prevent UV rays from entering your body. Now they do not cause irritation or redness but have other pitfalls to it- they leave behind a certain grayish tint on the skin which we don’t need to tell you, is very harmful to your skin.
Now what experts and we advise is, to go for a sunscreen which offers both these benefits. A combination of both these properties is what would be ideal for the skin. Check out our ultra light sunscreen gel, we assure you, you won’t be disappointed in us.
Also Read : Skin Care Routine For Oily Skin
Here’s some more information about our life saving products
1. Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser
The wonderful combination of AHA+BHA gently exfoliates by clearing dust settlement and congested skin starting from the first wash itself. Exfoliating foaming facial cleanser is ideal for acne prone skin as it targets and removes acne causing bacteria and eases up on irritation and inflammations as well.
Buy ThriveCo Exfoliating Foaming facial Cleanser
2. Pore Minimizing Ultimate Toner
As the name suggests pore minimizing ultimate toner not only balances the skin composition and gives it a glowing, bright look but also helps in shrinking the size of pores in the skin thereby, providing a much more even and smooth texture.
Buy ThriveCo Pore Minimizing Ultimate Toner
3. Ultra Light Sunscreen Gel
Ultra light sunscreen gel offers protection against both UVA & UVB rays of the sun, thus, making it an appropriate choice for all seasons. No more emptying your wallets every other month just so you could get protection against the ever changing tactics of the sun. It’s gentle and delicate on skin, evens skin texture and repairs sunburned skin cells too.
Buy ThriveCo Ultra Light Sunscreen gel
Bonus tips & tricks
- Sunscreen is a must, it's non negotiable and absolutely compulsory no matter what your skin type is. Make sure that the sunscreen you're using has at least 30 SPF and feels lightweight on your skin. It's essential to have a protective shield against the sun's harmful UV rays. We wouldn't want you to be sun baked honestly, now would we?
- Exfoliants are equally important. During the rainy season, there's an increase in the dirt, oil particles and pollutants in the atmosphere which settle on your face leading to clogged pores and damaged, dull looking skin. Here's where exfoliants come into play, whether you use natural ingredients in the form of coffee scrubs or oatmeal mixed with a zest of lemon and honey, or more chemically induced products, make sure you've thoroughly read the list of ingredients in the latter case. Exfoliation helps scraping off the bad cells from your skin, acne causing and bacteria oriented cells. So our advice would be to exfoliate generously.
- Go for the minimalist look, less is more. Don't put on a lot of makeup products besides a smooth base and some essentials. This is because makeup would wear you down, wash away easily and would lead to breakouts and blemishes.
- A fruit facial is great for monsoon season because it’s rich, nutrient dense and an excellent method to combat the natural stuffiness and humidity.
- Gravitate towards lightweight water based primers, foundations and other makeup products to prevent clogged pores and unhealthy skin.
No matter what the season, maintaining a good skincare regimen is extremely important. Double the fun of the monsoon season with healthy and glowing skin.
Also Read : What age should you start a skincare routine?
Disclaimer:All the content published on www.thriveco.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified healthcare provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.